Archetype Recruits Over 160,000 Gamers in First Week, Dominates iTunes App Store Charts And Conquers Critics From Around the World
Players Conduct Over 320,000 'iPwn' Fragging Sessions in Console-style FPS for iPhone and iPod touch from Villain Game Spotlighted as the Apple 'App of the Week'
Villain™, an independent producer and publisher of portable game titles, announced today that Archetype, its intense new online multiplayer first-person shooter game just released for iPhone and iPod touch, is currently the third-highest grossing application in the Apple App Store. In week one, Archetype has racked up over 320,000 thousand iPwnage sessions with the number steadily climbing thanks to the active fans and growing community. More over, the game has secured an onslaught of critical acclaim and praise from the editorial community further validating Archetype as a 'must have' game for the iPhone and iPod touch crowd. A console-style online FPS, Archetype brings a new breed of mobile mayhem to the iPhone platform worldwide with intense multiplayer FPS deathmatches with teams, experience points, and player ranks for the player-friendly price of GBP£1.79.
"We are beyond thrilled to see how Archetype in the short amount of time it's been officially released has found such an amazing and enthusiastic fan base, along with the high praise from the editorial community," said Dane Baker, Lead Producer at Villain. "This has been an amazing project for all involved, and speaks to our love for games, so we're taking this warm reception to further fuel our passion to work even harder on future updates, offerings and new game features to support our community of iPwnage fanatics."
Achievements garnered by Archetype
- Spotlighted as the Apple "App of the Week"
- More than 2 million kills worldwide at a rate of over 20,000 kills per hour
- Over 320,000 matches played
Editorial accolades and praise for the game
- "The deathmatches are exciting, the controls are brilliant, and the graphics are excellent (they're even optimized for iPhone 4)... Any way you slice it, if you like deathmatch-style first-person shooters, you'll love Archetype." - SlideToPlay, 4 out of 4/"Must Have" game score
- "Too often, I'm told that the iPhone cannot play hardcore games. The next time I hear this untruth, I am going to wave Archetype in front of the offender's face… Archetype is a great little multiplayer shooter." - IGN, 8.4/"Impressive" game score
- "Archetype delivers one of the most robust, beautiful, and most importantly fun FPS experiences that can be had on the iPhone." TouchArcade
- "Keeps the 5-on-5 multiplayer action fast, frenzied, and remarkably good" - GamesRadar, "iPhone game of the day" review
- "Archetype will simply blow you away. It's one of the best First Person Shooters for the iOS and a shining example of what a FPS should be like. Archetype has superb graphics, tons of gameplay, good number of weapons and fun levels to play in. The multiplayer and team gameplay are excellent and very easy to set up. If you are a FPS gamer, you won't be disappointed with this game!" MobileTechReview, 5 out of 5 review
- "Archetype lives up to the hype." - TUAW
- "For me Archetype has my favourite twin virtual stick setup of any shooter to hit the AppStore thus far." - Touchgen.com, 4 out of 5 game score
Archetype brings players worldwide an intense, high quality console-type FPS experience scaled to fit in their pockets via the popular iPhone and iPod touch platforms. Up to ten gamers can play a team deathmatch anywhere, anytime, with anyone. Archetype's portable iPwnage offers online FPS gaming on the go over Wi-Fi, 3G, or even Edge. Players wreak havoc using the game's precise dual joystick-style controls, bringing the best aspects of console shooters to iPhone and iPod touch. The game is optimized for the iPhone 4's Retina display and is fully iPad-compatible for play on a larger screen.
Archetype was developed by San Francisco-based MunkyFun, Inc., veterans of LucasArts and creators of Shift and Ivory Tiles for iPhone, and is published by Villain. For more information, visit madebyvillain.com/archetype.
Images de Archetype
Vidéo de Archetype
Titre : Archetype
Editeur : Villain
Studio : MunkyFun, Inc.
Plateformes : iPhone, iPodT
Date de sortie : 2010-07-01
Villain is a specialist game company focused on producing fiendishly good high-quality mobile entertainment. Archetype, an intense online team-based first-person shooter, is the company's inaugural critically acclaimed and top-selling first release for iPhone and iPod touch. For more information, visit madebyvillain.com.
About MunkyFun, Inc.
MunkyFun is an independent entertainment software company located in the heart of downtown San Francisco. MunkyFun is headed by CEO Nick Pavis, former head of technology at LucasArts. The core team has worked together extensively for several years, most notably while employed at LucasArts on the hit game, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. Collectively, the MunkyFun team has worked on over 60 notable game titles and is experienced across all major platforms including PS3, X360, Wii, PC, PSP, and iPhone. For more information, visit munkyfun.com.